Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Trip

My son is wading into new waters. He is turning 11 and this year it doesn't just mean a number. There are things happening to him. He is a little more emotional. His is having changes. (you know the kind of changes you need to buy deodorant and Noxzema for?)

I feel like I am about to go on a trip.

A very long trip.

I have known that this trip would be coming. I have tried to prepare...but you cant pack a year early. Although the prospects of this trip have exciting things to come...I am afraid. Afraid of the unknown. Afraid of what might happen.
How odd that you can look forward to a trip and wish it would never come at the same time.
I am nervous about how my fellow traveling partner and I are going to change.

Will we still like each other after this trip?

Will we still enjoy each others company...and want to bake and exercise and talk together?

Will we be gone so long that we forget how it used to be? How it used to be fun to stay home? How an awesome weekend included simply chicken nuggets and a red box movie? How a night with mom was the best thing ever?

With this trip, ever-present and looming, I cant help entertaining a feeling of panic.
Are we prepared?

Have I taught him enough?

Enough to be grounded?

Enough to eventually bring him back home?


No comments:

Post a Comment